The bolder the colors are, the more attractive you’ll be. Okay, that line may not be proven scientifically correct, but it’s pretty much my fashion motto in life. Bold colors always brings out the confident and vibrant person that I am better. Sometimes you don’t even need to accessorize your whole clothes with bright colors then you’ll end up looking like a Christmas tree. In fact, one of the most essential bold item you can use to look elegant and classy is with the power of red lipstick.
Cover image via stylist.co.uk
“Beauty to me is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick”
– Gwyneth Paltrow
Growing up, I never saw myself in a red lipstick. Being in one, just made me felt like I’ve lost my own identity being drowned in such vibrant color on my face. Then puberty hits and you find yourself experimenting with your mum’s make up collection secretly to see how you can look. Red lipstick always has and will bring a simple outfit look extra polished and classy.
Here are just some basic rules for wearing red lipstick that every girl should be aware of:
1. Red lips are mood changers, great for both good and bad days. Feeling blue? Add some red as mood brightener.
2. You can only choose between your eyes and lips, and never forget to add some colors to the cheeks a d incorporate strong brows for balance. Without a strong brows, red lips can actually make your eyes look tiny. At the minimum, mascara is always a good idea for a change too.
3. It’ll be all over around your mouth when you eat, drink, kiss. It’s always best to be aware and once in awhile catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror. Perhaps this would diffuse any awkwardness that you shouldn’t be going through.
4. On top of that, red lipstick gets on your teeth, so check when its necessary.
5. Applying lip balm or Vaseline to your lips before the red lipstick comes on would secure a longer time the color be on. Maybe even after you’ve put it on, kiss it on any tissue or paper so you don’t have to wait too long for it to dry (applies for liquid/gel type foundation).
6. This boldness, like everything else, takes trials and errors. A safe rule is: fair skin – true red with cold undertone; medium-skinned with warm undertone.
7. Red lipstick does not look good on yellow-stained teeth from coffee/tea/tobacco. No body wants that kind of contrast. Take care of your teeth daily, or just go coral!
8. Don’t even try thinking of leaving home without it. You’ll be needing it for layer after. No matter how strong the lasting power can be, you might meet someone who’s more passionate than the lipstick formulation. #youneverknow
9. Avoid deep reds if you have a thin lips as it gives the illusion of smaller looking lips.
Image via Darling Magazine
10. Red, marks the true beginning of your beauty journey, it only starts with red. Choose the attitude, be confident and go for red.
Hopefully this few tips helps you to be the bold woman that you are featuring red lipstick. Remember to not let the lipstick drown you but empower through it.
This article was also contributed by 2Cents team.