According to Trading Economics, the unemployment rate in Malaysia inched higher to 3.4 per cent in March 2019 from 3.3 per cent in the corresponding month of the previous year. Regardless if you’re seeking for new opportunities elsewhere or a fresh graduate seeking a job, it can be a difficult task let alone a job that fits you.
With Malaysian graduates entering the workforce for the first time currently on the look-out for job openings, LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network, shares tips to help them prepare for each step of their job search.
“Whether you’re just starting your career or on a journey to pursue fulfilment and meaning at work, now is a great time to find the right job for you. Not only does LinkedIn have 20 million jobs including entry-level roles — we also have the community to help you find the right one depending on your skills and interests,” Linda Lee, Head of Communications for Southeast Asia and North Asia, LinkedIn, said.
Job Search Advice:
1. Establish a Digital Presence That Reflects Who You Are: Ask yourself, what drove you to pursue your degree? What are you ‘in it’ for? Knowing these answers is crucial to finding the right job for you. Then create your LinkedIn profile and use the summary section to share a little bit more about yourself and the skills, learnings and experiences that make you unique. More than just a resume, your LinkedIn profile creates a great opportunity to make you stand out. It’s one of the top things recruiters using LinkedIn every day look at when viewing your profile.
2. Look Beyond Your Degree or Qualification: A degree can take you places, but it doesn’t dictate your career path. Keep in mind what is most important to you, and find it. Your degree or qualification could open up opportunities to land a variety of types of jobs beyond your major. If there are new skills you want to learn or improve on, online platforms like LinkedIn Learning can help you get started. Learning doesn’t stop at graduation.
Establish a digital presence, demonstrate what makes you stand out, and reach out to your community – LinkedIn
3. Explore Jobs on LinkedIn: Take advantage of LinkedIn’s job search filters to narrow your search by industry, function and experience, and then use the open search box to add key phrases to find the right job for you. Discovering new jobs on LinkedIn has never been easier with Instant Job Notifications and Job Title Highlights.
4. Connect with People in Your Network Who Can Help: Take a good look at your LinkedIn community to see if you have any connections who work at companies that interest you. These professionals can be key in helping you find — and land — the job you want. Professionals on LinkedIn are 4x more likely to get a call from a recruiter — and 9x more likely to get hired — when they’ve been referred by a connection than if they apply without a referral.
5. Make a Good Impression – Getting to know more about the company you wish to be part of can guide you on what it takes to get hired and succeed there. Their website and company page on LinkedIn, and other online resources can provide rich information and background.
“What’s important is that you know the steps to take on your journey to a successful and rewarding career. Be authentic, stay true to your values, call out what makes you different from the crowd and lean on your community for support,” added Linda.