We conducted an interview with Michelle Ng, who has an extensive 13 years of professional experience in the real estate industry, dealing with developers for project planning, sales and marketing for pre-launch properties. She has been actively providing property advices to multiple parties. (ie: acting as a marketing consultant for developers, providing personal property advisory to individual property investors and involving in guiding group property investments. Michelle is currently attached with Chester Properties Sdn Bhd, under the team MKM Group. The Group main objective is to provide distinctive services to its clients by having private preview and private talks (to share analysis of the project to personal investment portfolio). MKM Group prioritizes on finding the best locations before focusing into any property type (whether it will be residential or commercial).
Given the market is slow now, is it the right time to buy property?
It is the best time to enter into property market now because developers are competing to attract potential buyers by cutting their net profits via conservative sales and marketing strategy. The competitive packages that developers offer entices property buyers with the easy entry benefits, such as low down payment and perks like free legal fees, stamp duty and additional parking spaces. It is undeniable that the developers are mostly pricing their properties at market price (which would be rare during the year 2012 to 2015 period whereby pricing of properties were higher) or some are actually selling their properties below the market price!
Nevertheless, don’t get too excited over the packages that they have offered you. As a smart property buyer, one must always remember that when choosing a property, one should always set ‘location’ as the top most priority, ahead of all the perks the developers are offering. If the location is strategic, one must always spend time to research and study the developers’ backgrounds. A good developer should always have strong company cash flow and good track records.
What is your advice for first time property home buyer?
As a first time property buyer, it is always good to take note of 7 points:
- Finding the right location will always be the utmost priority before you purchase any property.
- Studying the surrounding area/ neighborhood if there are any current and/or future developments which might impact your final property purchase decisions.
- Analyzing the accessibility of the different mode of transportations (ie: KTM, Monorial, LRT, MRT, bus and highways options)
- Searching for government subsidy which are readily available for first time home buyer (ie: My Deposit, stamp duty saving 50%for first house, Real Property Gains Tax (RPGT) waiver which can be used for once in your lifetime)
- Identifying the criteria for loan entitlements so you are prepared financially
- Researching on how you can utilize Employees Provident Fund (EPF)
- Understanding the rental demand and resell value, and if the property is Freehold or Leasehold
What is your advice for property investment buyer?
Deciding the objective of the property purchase is for own stay or investment. For example, if the property is meant for an investment, do not put sentiments into the final decision. However, take into consideration of what will be the rental yield and return on investment (ROI), what type of tenants that you are attracting etc. For investors who have planned to sell their property fast after getting the vacant possessions, they need to consider if the selling price after holding the properties for a few years will be affordable for their targeted property buyer segment. For investors who have planned to have long term rental collection, it is essential to only target properties which are able to provide them with high rentals.
Lastly, professional investors looking to purchase a property with high potential of rental return, there are multiple ways to generate higher ROIs. You can rent out your property to be a commercial office with a good return of 6% to 7%, making it a studio house with fitting and fixture with a better return of 7% to 8%, or making it studio house for short term rental like Airbnb or short terms stay which can easily get a return up to 12%. Smart investors must be creative in order to generate higher returns. Nevertheless, it will be subjected to how well you manage to meet the criteria for the type of property.
Any properties recommendation to our readers?
SOVO @ Kiara 163
Located in an established area with premium housing address, Mont Kiara is well known for its high density of expatriates, with Hartamas and Dutamas as its reputable neighbors. There are always high rental demand in both residential and commercial properties located within Mont Kiara. It has been projected that this investment can generate a conservative ROI of 7% and above. All in all, this property is suitable for risk averse investors because it is a low risk investment with high return.
- Project Name: SOVO @ Kiara 163, Jalan Kiara, Mont Kiara
- Developer: D’Kiara Place Sdn Bhd ny YNH Berhad
- Unit Size: 620sq ft – 1028 sq ft
- Price Range: RM 520,000 – RM 1,000,000
Sentul Point @ New Sentul
Located strategically next to Kuala Lumpur, Sentul Point @ New Sentul is 12km away from KLCC and 5KM away from KL City Jalan Tun Razak. The property is strategically accessible via DUKE highway which can connect to the new DUKE highway 2, Jalan Tun Razak and Karak Highway. This residential property has incorporated commercial shoplots to promote the convenience lifestyle in modern day society. All in all, this property is suitable for investors who are seeking for affordable homes at strategic location.
- Project Name: Sentul Point @ New Sentul
- Developer: Infinite Accomplishment Sdn Bhd by UOA Berhad
- Unit Size: 721sq ft – 1019 sq ft
- Price Range: RM 370,000 – RM 550,000
Michelle Ng is contactable at 012-3997067 or email@example.com