Can you introduce yourself?
Hi, I’m Gary Cheok, an international makeup artist and artistry trainer. I also freelance as an MC and host for events and shows. I began in 2009, and between 2011 to 2014, I represented Malaysia as a Speaker and Facilitator in major conferences and public workshops. In 2013, I was recognised as a National Trainer from Malaysia for MAC cosmetics.
You’re also in the entertainment industry. How did that happen?
Early in 2015, I started as an artiste manager. From there, I started to learn more about the industry, and once I accumulated more experience, I tried my hand at acting. My first role was in the local NTV 7 drama, ‘In Terms of Endearment’.
Can you share some of your achievements?
It’s easier for me to just list them down chronologically:
2009 – MAKE UP ARTIST
2010 – MAKE UP ARTIST (ARTISTRY)
2011 – MAKE UP ARTIST (KEY ARTIST – MISS UNIVERSE MALAYSIA)
2011 – MAKE UP ARTIST (ADVANCE ARTISTRY)
2011 – MAKE UP ARTIST (SHU UEMURA)
2012 – MAKE UP ARTIST / RESIDENT TRAINER) (MAC COSMETICS)
2013 – MAKE UP TRAINER (TRAINER – MAC COSMETICS)
2013 – CELEBRITY MAKE UP ARTIST (FREELANCE)
2014 – MAKE UP TRAINER (NATIONAL TRAINER – MAC COSMETICS)
2015 – MAKE UP TRAINER (INTERNATIONAL FACILITATOR)
MAKEUP TIPS By Gary:
If you plan to go for a nice seaside drink or a nice seaside dinner, you can always add-on some cream earth-toned eye shadow (blend it with your fingers), pencil eye liner (lightly smudge for a more earthy look), and a water proof mascara to finish off your glamorous Beach look.
Always remember not to use powder-based makeup products if you plan to go to the beach / a swim as it will smeared before you even know it.
Here’s how to get that sun-tanned look that’s all the craze these days!
1) Mix your Sun Block with three shades of darker foundation (water resistance) by rubbing your hands and quickly blend all over your skin to achieve a well-tanned and bronze look. Once the application it done, your skin will be glowing now and there is no need for powder.
2) Use a peach / orange cream blush and buff it at the apples of your cheeks and work outwards. Blend an Illuminator / Highlights all over your cheekbones, forehead, chin, and your nose bridge as these are the areas where the sun hits on. It helps to achieve the gorgeous dewy skin look.
3) It is a must to use a gel eye brow / pencil eye brow product to fill in your brows. Avoid using powder as it will smear when it touches water. Coat them with clear eye brow gel and this will hold everything on.
4) Use a lip tint (close to your lip colour) instead of a lip stick, as we do not want an overly done makeup look as “beachy” look should stay neutral, dewy and bronzy.
RECOMMENDATIONS By Gary:
1. M.A.C Make Up Remover wipes
2. M.A.C Mineralize Charged Water Cleanser
3. Origins Plantscription Anti-Aging Treatment Lotion
4. Clinique Turnaround Overnight Revitalizing moisturizer
5. Shu Uemura Deepsea Water
6. Givenchy Teint Couture Cushion
7. shu uemura Eyebrow Pencil
8. Dior Addict Ultra Gloss
Gary Cheok is an International Makeup Artistry Trainer that conducts makeup training sessions locally and internationally. He is no stranger to the Malaysian beauty industry, fashion industry, and even is recently involved in the entertainment industry. Gary is a favourite makeup “Guru” among local celebrities.
He started off his career in Malaysia as a makeup artist in 2009 and in between 2011 – 2016, and he has represented Malaysia as a speaker and facilitator in many major conferences and public workshops.